home about top10 photo tutorials recipe




Tuesday, February 2, 2010

love&faithfulness

Proverbs 3 verses 3 and 4

3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
       bind them around your neck,
       write them on the tablet of your heart.

4 Then you will win favor and a good name
       in the sight of God and man.

When something is bound around your neck, you keep it close by. It’s hard to forget it as you go about your tasks, as it bounces and joggles around. Even the lightest and finest of necklaces never seem to be forgotten. The wearer may not even realize what they’re doing, but they often reach up and fiddle with the pendant, or twine their fingers around the chain.

Likewise, as somebody with ADD, I can personally attest that writing something down helps to cement it in your brain. My kitchen calendar is littered with dates and reminders, I have lists on the table to remind myself to do tasks, and there are ‘sticky notes’ on my laptop reminding me to pay somebody or write something up.  Just those little things remind to do things that might be second nature to some people.

Love and faithfulness is not something that tends to come naturally to us. We all think it does, and think it should, but in reality we are all selfish creatures. When it comes down to the line, any relationship, romantic or not, will eventually deteriorate without conscious and vigilant effort.  Unfortunately, our sinful human nature leads us slyly off to the side and gives us little justifications. I didn’t do anything wrong – I only said/did that because he/she did this! Nobody can fault me for that.

Reach up and touch that pendant. Read over the note. Chide yourself gently when those justifications pop up... It is truly just your own actions and reactions that are held up for inspection, by the Lord and by those around you as well.

I don’t know about you, but I can think of a few friends who I feel hold love&faithfulness near and dear. The friends that never seem to have anything bad to say about anyone. Who will always do a favour and expect nothing in return. Proverbs is ever so practical – yes, the Lord will recognize it when you truly hold love&faithfulness near and dear.
But He is definitely not the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello? Is it me you're looking for?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...